GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE COURSE
During this course the student will be informed about fundamentals of traffic flow theory and methods for dimensioning the common types of intersections in urban areas.
Starting with vehicle movement as a movement of mass point in the space, the theory of traffic flow cover the knowledge to understand, measure and present the important traffic flow characteristics. Beside the general review of different models, the main aim emphasis is on fundamental equation and fundamental diagram.
The general and detailed professional knowledge about traffic dimensioning is presented in the second part of course. The focus is on dimensioning different type of intersections (non-signalised and signalised). Two different type of methodology will discuss HCM – Highway capacity manual (TRB) and HBS as German HCM. Seminar work will cover analyses of real traffic environment and usage of different computer applications (HCS and Sidra Intersection).
The course will cover the following topics:
- Conception and tasks of traffic technique,
- Traffic flow theory, definition, basic parameters and characteristics of traffic flow
- Fundamental diagram (models speed – flow, speed – density, flow – density)
- Conception of capacity of traffic areas and its implementation into the project of transportation infrastructure
- Dimensioning of non-signalised intersection (based on HCM2010 and HBS2010): AWSC, TWSC intersections, roundabouts, Usage of computer aided programs (SIDRA INTERSECTION, HCS2010)
- Dimensioning of signalised intersection (based on HCM2010 and HBS2010): dimensioning of isolated semaforised intersection, traffic regulation on open street network, traffic regulation on close street network, usage of computer aided tools for dimensioning (SIDRA INTERSECTION, HCS Streets, T7F)
- Presentation of all lecturers in english.
- FHWA, Revised Monograph on Traffic Flow Theory, http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/operations/tft/index.cfm.
- Transport Research Board: Highway Capacity Manual 2010, Washington DC, 2010.
- Forschungsgesellschaft für Straßen und Verkehrswesen, HBS – Handbuch für die Bemessung von Strassenverkehrsanlagen, Köln, 2005.
- Brilon W., Ausgewählte Kapitel aus der Theorie des Verkehrsflusses, Ruhr – Universität Bochum, 1998.
- SIDRA INTERSECTION User guide, Akcelik & Associates Pty Ltd, 2012.
- HCS 2010 User guide, McTRANS, University of Florida, 2012.