GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE COURSE
During this course the student will acquire fundamental knowledge of various selected themes of Geography as follows: Geography of Settlements, Economic Geography, Political Geography, Transport Geography and Quantitative Methods in Geography.
Selected themes of geography represent basis for transport, spatial and environmental planning, as well for planning and mangement of transport and logistic operation. During the course interrelations between settlements, population, economy and transport will be introduced – additionaly also methods of acquisition, use and presentation of spatial data.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Geography (history, branches, techniques)
- Geography of settlements (demography, migrations, population structure, settlement structure, cities, environmental problems, …)
- Political geography (political demarcation of the world, political demarcation of states, geopolitics)
- Economic geography (economy, agriculture, industry, tourism, globalisation)
- Transport geography (transportation modes, networks and terminal: an overview of road transport, rail transport, maritime transport and air transport in Slovenia)
- Quantitative methods in geography (introduction in quantitative methods in geography, spatial data, spatial units, sources of data, …)