GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE COURSE
The objective of this course is to understand the environmental vulnerability and sustainable development, to
identify potential traffic impacts on environment, to know state-of-the-art methods for assessment, reduction
and prevention of traffic impacts on environment and to acquire ability for creative solution of interdisciplinary
On completion of this course the student will be able to recognise the link between land use, nature and
biodiversity, quality of life and environmental protection, to recognise the traffic impacts on environment, to
recognise environmentally appropriate and inappropriate construction activities, to demonstrate understanding
of measures, limitations and bans for reduction and prevention of harmful impacts on environment, to apply
environmental legal basis, recommendations, reports and data basi, to apply theoretical and practical knowledge
in transport practices.
The course will cover the following topics:
- natural and social definition of the environment,
- environmental vulnerability,
- principles and significance of sustainable environmental development: ideas, definitions, and instruments for its implementation,
- analyses of environmental problems, referred to climate changes, nature and biodiversity, quality of life and waste,
- analyses of legal environmental regulations and programs,
- environmental information systems. Environmental impact assessment,
- traffic impacts on the environment,
- measures, limitations and bans for protection of natural resources and for prevention and reduction of contaminant emissions into the air, soil and waters,
- inclusion of ecological principles into engineering activities: examples of best and worse practices,
- analyzes of applied-research projects from the environmental and traffic field of work.
- R.T. Wright: Environmental Science: Towards a sustainable future. Prentice Hall, 2005.
- G. Ionescu: Transportation and the Environment: Assessments and Sustainability. Apple Academic Press, 2016.
- EEA: Evaluating 15 years of transport and environmental policy integration. EEA Report No 7, 2015.