GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE COURSE
The objective of this course is to identify the balance between environmental and traffic goals of the sustainable development, to realize the importance of environmental policy in traffic planning, to integrate the knowledge from environmental protection and traffic fields of work, the know-how transfer into practices and to develop the ability for independent and creative solving of interdisciplinary problems.
On completion of this course the student will be able to recognise the link between land use, quality of life, nature and biodiversity to analyze the traffic impacts on environment, to explain the role of environmental protection principles in ensuring sustainable development of urban areas, to select the optimal methodology for reduction and prevention of pollution, to apply environmental legal basis, recommendations, reports and environmental data basis, to integrate knowledge into transport practices and to evaluate a project from ecological point of view.
The course will cover the following topics:
- environmental problems and traffic,
- transport and environment reporting mechanism: analyses of transport and environmental indicators,
- analyses of measures for reduction of traffic impacts on biosphere, pedosphere, lithosphere, hydrosphere and atmosphere,
- legal environmental basis and recommendations: integration of environmental and traffic policies,
- sustainable development of urban areas: environmental and socio-economic goals, balance between environmental and traffic goals,
- environmental principles in planning of traffic and its infrastructure, examples of best and worse practices,
- sustainable neighborhood: vision, strategy, parameters of sustainable neighborhood and sustainable mobility, analyses of best practices,
- analyzes of applied-research projects from the environmental protection and traffic field of work.
- S.E. Manahan: Environmental Science and Technology: A Sustainable Approach to Green Science and Technology, Second Edition. CRC Press, 2006.
- O. Inderwildi, D. King: Energy, Transport & the Environment. Springer, 2012.
- P. Thangavel, G. Sridevi, Environmental Sustainability, Role of Green Technologies. Springer, 2015.
- EEA: Evaluating 15 years of transport and environmental policy integration. EEA Report No 7, 2015.
- G. Ionescu: Transportation and the Environment: Assessments and Sustainability. Apple Academic Press, 2016.