GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE COURSE
The objective of this course is to realize the significance of environmental management and its interdisciplinary role, to identify potential impacts of construction activities on particular environmental sphere, to understand expertise of possibilities and methods for reduction of construction impacts on environment and to acquire knowledge on principles of sustainable construction to integrate the acquired ecological and construction knowledge and know-how transfer.
On completion of this course the student will be able to recognise the link between land use, quality of life, nature and biodiversity, to recognise potential impacts of construction activities on environment, to demonstrate understanding of principal goals of environmental management, to demonstrate understanding of measures, limitations and bans for reduction and prevention of construction impacts on environment, to demonstrate understanding of sustainable development of an urban area, to apply principles of sustainable construction referred to environmentally friendly technologies and sustainable use of natural and artificial resources and to integrate knowledge into civil engineering practices.
The course will cover the following topics:
- environmental problems and civil engineering;
- legal environmental basis and recommendations;
- general principles for prevention of construction impacts on environment – measures for reduction of contaminant emissions and protection of natural resources;
- analyses of environmental vulnerability, environmental impact assessment, risk assessment analyses;
- indicators of environmental development;
- integrated environmental management;
- sustainable use of energy, natural resources and construction materials – resources and reserves in Slovenia;
- environmentally friendly technologies and sustainable management of waste and secondary materials;
- sustainable urban areas and sustainable mobility;
- analyzes of applied-research projects from the environmental protection and civil engineering field of work.
- Manahan S.E.: Environmental Science and Technology: A Sustainable Approach to Green Science and Technology, Second Edition. CRC Press, 2006.
- Sustainable use and managament of natural resources. EEA, 2006.
- Van Bohemen H: Ecological Engineering – Bridging between ecology and civil engineering. Delft, Aeneas Technical Publishers, 2005.